I am an Assistant Professor of Sociology at The University of British Columbia. My research interests span environmental sociology and the sociology of consumers and consumption as I interrogate how individuals, groups, and communities seek to effect positive changes to the natural environment. Within that broad topic, I have more specific interests, including:
- Explaining what motivates people to engage in sustainable consumption;
- Describing -- and making sense of -- why environmental concern and engaging in eco-friendly practices are gendered and classed;
- Unpacking the paradoxical relationships among environmental concerns, pro-environmental behaviours, and environmental impact;
- Understanding how private consumption choices become politicized;
- And advancing the sociological study of local and ethical food initiatives.